Journal entry, 8-01-06
Today is my 52nd birthday.  Cheryl had to work until 4 pm.  I picked her up and we went to a nice dinner.  After the
dinner we went to see the movie Click.  It was a funny movie and we enjoyed it.  

I have been doing a lot of things since I have been home.  One of the most important is that I took a course in
continual education so I could renew my real estate license in September.  If I did not take this class my license would
expire and I would have to go back through real estate school and very hard state exam to get it reinstated.  

I plan on flying to San Diego next Wednesday.  I will be spending a couple of days there with a friend and sponsor that
wishes to remain anonymous.  

My Mother and Sister drove to St. Louis today to see me.  I was happy to see them.  They told me that they could
really see a difference in my weight.  Everyone has been telling me that.  I guess I can tell also, but I am still at 300 lbs
and to me, that is still real fat.  But that is the main reason that I am doing this walk.  Take care all, Gary, "Keep on
Walking, one foot in front of the other."

Journal entry, 8-02-06
Today I did a live interview on Fox 2 news at around 8:15 am.  I told them about the bear encounter that I had.  I also
shared with them some of the experiences I have had with people helping me.  After the interview I drove home and
continued doing some chores that needed done until Cheryl got off work.  Here is a picture of me and the Bear I

This was a joke that they played on me where my wife works.  They all had a great laugh.  I had my eyes closed when
they brought the bear in and when I opened my eyes they were holding it right in front of me at eye level.  It actually
scared me.  I screamed.  I guess that looked really funny to them, but inside, I guess I am still pretty shook up over
that bear encounter in Pa.  Take care all, Gary, "Keep on Walking, one foot in front of the other."

Journal entry, 8-09-06
Today I went to the Airport at noon to catch my 2:30 flight to San Diego, Ca.  Much to my surprise I found out that my
flight was not until the 16th.  The actual confusion is that when I booked the flight Monday to fly Wednesday, I glanced
at the calender and jumped ahead a whole week.  I tried to talk them into letting me fly early but to no avail.  It would
have cost me an additional $280. to move it up a to today.  

I called my wife and had her come back to the airport to pick me up.  Everyone is beginning to wonder what is going
on.  Well, I will probably just wait until next Wednesday, on the 16th and take that flight.  At least it won't cost  any
more money.  Also knowing that I will be gone for another 10 months or so, one more week at home sounds good to
me.  I am still trying to get the flight moved up so there is a chance I will still fly either this weekend or early next week.  
I will post it once I find out.  Well, take care all, Gary, "Keep on Walking, one foot in front of the other."

Journal entry, 8-15-06
Today I got up at 5 am to go to a ware house to pick up a dishwasher.  It was new but had just a little damage to it, but
the owner agreed to sell it for only fifty bucks.  I took it home and hooked it up and it worked great.  I met a guy there
by the name of Josh Pruitte.  He gave me a computer program that I can download onto my computer that has voice
recognition.  I will see it I can use it while walking.  He really went out of the way to help me get the dishwasher.  He
also volunteered to assist me with my web site if I need him.  

That is about all for today except to get ready to leave tomorrow.  "Keep on walking, one foot in front of the other."

Journal entry, 8-16-06
I left St. Louis today at 2:30 am.  I arrived in Phoenix at 5:30 and made it to San Diego by 7:30.  Dr. Judi Herring and
her Mother Mary were there waiting for me.  I was so happy to see them.  Soon after getting my bag out of baggage
claim I met a friend of mine that has been following my journey.  He wants to remain anonymous because he feels that
if he made it public it would be more about getting recognition for his helping me.  So when I talk about him I will just
say my San Diego friend.  Anyway, he had arranged for me to stay at the Hilton.  When I checked in I was awe struck
at how big and nice it is.  He told me that he expected me to order room service.  I feel like a fish out of water.  I did as
he told me to do and I ordered a Filet Mignon with all the fixens.  In no time I was chowing down on my dinner meant
for a king.  I can't remember eating like this in a long time.  I am completely overwhelmed by meeting my friends out

I will stay in San Diego until tomorrow evening and then I will get started with the walk.  Judi and her Mother have
already figured out the route I will be taking.  I really am so excited to get started.  The past few weeks have been very
nice being with my wife and getting things done that needed attended to.  But now I am chomping at the bit wanting to
get started.  I still look at my fat every morning and hate being fat.  But now I am on  the path to getting fit and trim
again.  By the time I get to St. Louis, Missouri, there is no doubt that I will be down to 175 lbs.  

I had met Judi and her husband Bert in New Jersey.  It was very good seeing her again and she has the most
charming mother.  I am very honored to have her with me on this journey.  

I want to thank all of you that have been there for me up to this point.  I am truly humbled by your kindness.  I will do
my best to keep you updated on this portion of my journey.  So take care all, Gary, "Keep on Walking, one foot in
front of the other."

Journal entry, 8-17-06
Today my San Diego Friend called me early and ask me if I would like to go to his Martial Arts class.  I told him I would
love it.  He picked me up in front of the Hotel.  Once there, I met his personal trainer and some others that were there

After the training class, I went to REI with my friend and picked out a new back pack.  It felt good to get a new one.  I
had the old one fixed two times.  I believe this new one will last for the rest of the trip.  My friend bought it for me as
well as paid for everything in San Diego.  I really appreciate every thing he has done for me. He is truly a great friend
and a super great guy.  Then we went to lunch.  After a nice lunch I went back to the Hotel.

I have to get up at 3 am in the morning.  I will post again as soon as I can.  Take care all, "Keep on walking, one foot in
front of the other."
Me fighting a bear
Josh Pruitte, arranged for me to
get a good deal on a dishwasher,
and gave me a very expensive
program for my computer.  He is
from High Ridge, Missouri
Nelson, he runs the
school.  Really
great guy
Nelson with my
friend from San
Diego, Nelson is the
Nelson with my San
Diego friend
Mary Ann Buckley & Pat
Hall.  They helped me get
the new back pack at the
REI store.  Really great
Go to August page 2
This is Larry, A really
good friend of my San
Diego friend
This is some of the
other students